Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Moving slowly to London

My first blogging ever... Thanks Lisa.

Disclaimer: no fancy picture of crazy holidays in here... Just plain boring whereabouts.



As many of you know (by the way, thank you for the great crowd who managed to come to the farewell drinks-it meant a lot to me), I spent the summer in NY doing an internship. On one hand it was an enjoyment because of the extraordinary experience of a summer in NY (God I love this city, its rooftop bars and its beaches), because I could see some of you and because I finally got to do something in line with my expectations for the MBA. On the other hand, it has been a pain because I did not see Maryne and the kids for two months and I was not even sure to lend an offer in the end. We had decided it was much better for Maryne and the kids to be in France with our family and more economical for us (after two years of supporting a family of 4 in NY, without income, and losing a fair share of savings in the greatest crash of the history).




Anyway, things turned out good in the end since I left NY around mid-August with a job offer to join a PE firm in London. I joined my family to spend 2 weeks in the Ile de Re - a small island in front of La Rochelle on the Atlantic coast. It is like the Hamptons but much smaller (30km long, 2 km wide) and in France. All my friends and family (mother/brother/ aunt/grand mother/...) were there so it was a short but an intense enjoyable time.
September has been intense as well and not much of a holiday. I have been running around going through more interviews before resigning from a well known consulting firm, looking for an apartment in London (40 visits of crapy apts - God it is expensive), working for a friend of mine who is building a consulting firm in Toulouse and taking up the offer in London. The worst is probably the moving: receiving a container from NY in Paris and sending it to London after some reshuffling...
In the end, I am camping in my brother's room in a flat share in London while Maryne & the kids are doing the same in France with friends/family. But we are seeing the end: We will move in a great apartment in London on the 1st of November. A well deserved rest for the family and the opportunity to get back to a more normal and peaceful life.

Once we are settled, we hope to see you in London.



The Berbesson's family

No comments:

Post a Comment